Real World: Denver
Off to a Promising Start
I watched the Real World season premiere earlier today, and I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Thank God for Mtv Overdrive, by the way. If there wasn't Mtv overdrive, there is no way I would be able to fit these shallow TV shows into my demanding and busy drinking schedule. I don't think Mtv or Fox got the memo that they can't air shows like the OC or the Duel on any night other than Monday or Tuesday because otherwise there's a 90% chance I'll be missing it in order to get slammered. Come on guys, I'm in a desirable advertising demographic. Cater to me.
I really hope this is a good Real World season. Everything has really been downhill since Real World: San Diego. San Diego had it all: a highly amusing and entertaining meathead, a really hot chick, a chick with huge fun bags, an under the radar hottie, an emo basket case, and a funny non-militant black guy. Plus, San Diego gave us the "Drunk tank! All night!" line. Since then, it's been nothing but lame ass, low-intensity morons with no intriguing in-house hookup drama.
Here's why I think this season will be successful:
1) These people GET AFTER IT. It's quite clear after two nights of events that there is going to be a lot of brodying going on with this cast. We've already had one post-party extend into a post-sunrise drunken beat sesh that almost featured a potentially hazardous oven-fire. Post-parties = sex, embarassing moments, shouting, and fighting or more simply, good intensity.
2) All the chicks on the show are pretty hot. I don't think any of these girls quite reach Cameran or Mallory status, but I would definitely let these girls touch my wiener. Jennifer, the Raiderette dancer, is borderline very hot, and she is obviously a huge slut. Colie, the chick from Jersey, is also a huge slut, but she appears to lack self-confidence and will probably latch on to whoever she hooks up with (Awesome! Jersey!) Finally, there's Brooke, who hasn't had as much attention focused on her but has already admitted to being a semi-nympho, so that's something. All in all, I'm pleased.
3) The Colie-Alex-Jennifer love triangle is going to result in problems. I can't believe it's been two nights and this dude Alex has already slept with two different roommates. Wow. I thought that guy was going to be a huge pussy when I saw his earrings and his somewhat effiminate mannerisms, but I guess I was proved wrong. I can't fault a guy who gets after it, and he gets after it (see: post-sunrise beat sesh on night two with Jennifer). There is no way this thing doesn't cause problems. It's quite clear that Colie has a thing for Alex that runs deeper than just wanting to makeout with him. Colie may say she just wants to make out with him, but let's face it, she's from Jersey. Also, she was practically hanging off of him and mentioning how he should sleep in her bed anytime he didn't have his tongue down her throat. It's also abundantly clear that Alex would much rather bang out Jennifer, who's the hotter chick, whenever he can. In the meantime though, Alex, like most men (self included), lacks self-restraint and will probably continue to hook up with Colie because she's also kind of hot, even though it's going to lead her on, because, well, he can.
4) Mtv finally put two black guys together. Now we can finally see what it's like when "the black guy" isn't marginalized into one storyline a season because none of the white guys will talk to him. Instead, we're probably going to see Tyrie and Steve dominate the season since I don't really see over-sexed hetero Alex and ambiguously gay Davis developing any sort of deep friendship. Plus the fact that one of the black guys is JACKED and seems to be all about banging chicks with huge asses while the other black guy is a conservative Christian Republican is hilarious to me. I think this dynamic is going to be the X-factor, and could potentially elevate this show over a season like San Diego.
5) Jennifer will be in Playboy. Mark my words. This will happen.