Thursday, January 11, 2007

Shady's Back

To quote the great band, Staind, "It's been awhile."

I suck. I've been busy. Turns out law school isn't quite the awesome, drunken, free-time filled mess that undergrad is. Go figure.

Anyway, I figure I'd hit you guys up with some quick thoughts following a loooooooong break.

First, the OC cancellation. I really can't say that I'm surprised here. Fox was pretty stupid to put one of their top dramas up against Grey's Anatomy. Let's be honest. Most of the people watching the OC weren't stupid college-age male stoners, so putting the show up against (seemingly) every woman's (probably more appropriately "high school girl's") favorite TV show wasn't a smart idea. I'm disappointed. Obviously. I really think this season has been a lot better than Season 3. That whole Johnny nonsense was awful. I hadn't cared less for an OC character since the whole "Oliver" debacle of Season 1. I think Kaitlin Cooper and Taylor Townsend were really coming into their own as hotties. Taylor had even passed Summer for me in terms of who I'd rather play a game of "Hide the Pringles Can" with.

As for other reality shows:

- Twentyfourseven was a terrible show. That being said, I really enjoyed it. The people who starred in it had absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. However, the guy "Cipes" was a true insipiration for mankind. Basically his life consisted of smoking pot, laying extremely flaky game down on chicks (who I'm sure bought it because this was set in LA and he's somewhat well off), and play guitar. If you haven't already, I highly suggest you check out cipesandthepeople.com AND gregcipes.com . Truly can't miss stuff here.

- CT is really entering unprecedented territory for the Duel. It was brought up in a Bill Simmons chat yesterday, but I think CT has officially passed Alton from a few years ago as the greatest Real World/Road Rules challenge player of all-time. I mean Evan, who is probably one of the meatiest dudes on the planet and can probably bench press my Ford Explorer, was visibly shitting his pants at the prospect of facing CT. Then, when they get into the challenge, CT somehow channelled his hidden marsupial genes and climbed the rope in the ascent challenge in about 1.8 seconds. CT and Brad should get some kind of award for excellence in the field of meatheadishness, it's truly inspiring.

- Real World has fallen off massively, nothing really interesting has happened as of late other than Brooke being completely off the reservation. I have never seen a girl bitch as much as she does. That's saying A LOT. That's saying I've never seen ANYONE bitch as much as she does. Somebody call the wahhhhhhmbulance.

As for the Hall of Fame voting, I'm beginning to realize that the process is kind of stupid. So you're telling me the reason why Goose Gossage is getting into the Hall next year (I think he deserves it) is because Tim Raines and David Justice are the closest Hall-worthy candidates being added to the list? This system is fucked up. I also take sides with Bill Simmons on this whole McGwire thing. It's going to be ridiculous if every single Hall vote for the next 10 years is going to include every writer's inclinations on whether or not he/she (ha, she, like they'd ever let women chose who goes to the Baseball Hall of Fame) thinks so and so may or may not have done steroids.

I'm not discussing college football, other than to say that our team is going to be massively overrated going into next year. Our defense needs about 8 players to make HUGE leaps next year if we want to have anything approaching the success we had this year. However, Ryan Mallett looked UNREAL in the Army All-Star game. He also can throw a football 85 yards. I'm not making that up.

Well, that's it for now. Hope everyone had enjoyable holidays.

13 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Mr. Intensity said...

I obviously wholeheartedly disagree about Johnny. I liked him; he was sympathetic, he had a tough upbringing, and his injury doomed him. Then, he got wasted and his accidental death, well...it was fucking VOLCHEK's fault. I HATE VOLCHEK. HE KILLED MARISSA TOO.

I predicted this in May of last year. I told you, Chubbs, that the show was done after that final episode of season 3. And god, I was right. Never have I been more bummed about being right. Well, actually...I am not going to make that bold of a statement. I think there have been some instances where I have unfortunately been right, namely when I predicted that it would be 8,453 dudes and 3 chicks at Haberman's party last year. And I was right. But dismayed.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Sarah said...

What spectacular party are you talking about and why was I not there?!?

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous mbracken said...

I'm with ya Chubbs. Johnny was THE WORST. I really feel like Season 4 has been the best season of The OC, except for maybe Season 1. FOX really did let it die by putting it up against the atrocity that is Grey's Anatomy.

The Duel is the best show on TV. Honestly, the only reason I watch the Real World anymore is so that I know the characters when they debut on the Challenges. RW got terrible in a hurry.

MTV is gonna be on fire soon though. The final of the Duel, a RW that can't possibly get worse, the long-anticipated return of Road Rules, the sophomore season of Two-a-Days, Maui Fever (which looks intriguing), and of course, The Hills. I just pray they show J-Wahl getting arrested for coke.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated to the post, but I think you guys might like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uR_AELWjT60

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Chubbs said...

HAHAHA

Maui Fever looks awesome. A lot of heady brosefs hanging out and banging out hot chicks. I'm clearly in.

Also, words can't even begin to describe how excited I am for Two-A-Days Season 2

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger David L. Bickel said...

alton would kill CT.

i'm throwing that out there.

i'm pretty certain that the RW has one character every season that ruins the show... see: Frankie in San Diego, Lacey in Austin, etc....
this season that person is brooke. somebody call me when she goes home, because she's ruining the show.

also, had to love the Michigan sweatshirt Colie was rockin a few episodes ago....

the hills, i'm excited. one of my friends is going to be in an episode. he was at a club in LA and a girl tried to throw a drink on either Heidi or LC and missed and instead hit my friend. so yeah....

and two-a-days... tremendous.

maui fever... i'll give it a chance. twentyfourseven was awful. that's all i'm going to say,

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Mr. Intensity said...

Fuck all of you; long live Johnny. And Marissa. Annywaaay...I don't know of this Maui Fever, but it sounds like a good time. And Two-a-Days. Oh. My. God. I just hope to holy hell that they have kids on this year's show who are on par with Alex and company. I also would like more random shots of Rush Probst screaming at adolescents that play football for him like he's Hitler. I mean, who doesn't like a little "Play fast, but play PHYSICAL. BEAT. THE. DANG. PISSOUTTADEM! or my personal favorite, "Driiaaiiive, Driiaaiiive" as they are hitting the blocking sled. (That is "Drive" to the uninitiated, only spelled as pronounced by said Rush Probst.)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Mr. Intensity said...

And, I am with Bickel: Alton, hands down. He could play outside linebacker in a 3-4. Or small forward for Michigan. Or could take Lexington Steele's gig.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Mr. Intensity said...

And...that link to the youtube thing that Kristen put up on this message board. (Yes, it turns out that off the reservation is her guilty pleasure. Well, it's one of them...I am the other one.) Anyway, back to the link- fucking tremendous. I mean, I was getting downright fucking GIDDY watching those bastards cry! GIDDY I TELL YOU. Those morons thought they were going to a coronation and, um, yeah, no. That didn't happen. I mean, their fan base looks awful too, by the way. Made up of middle-aged soccer moms, dudes with goatees, and dumb skinny kids. I HATE THEM. AND WE WILL PREVAIL NEXT YEAR. AND BEAT THE DANG PISSOUTTADEM!!

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous seemer said...

dammit, kuiken-- that was my party!

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Chubbs said...

Florida v. OSU - The White Trash Bowl.

I kept waiting for Dale Earnhardt Jr. to do the coin toss

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I saw CT wearing a belly button ring in one episode. I'm not kidding.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous beutj said...

the disappointing thing about this is how kashif and bootsy were nodding in agreement when they read chubbs's description of Staind as "the next great band"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home