Sunday, January 21, 2007

What a Great Game

Yeah, so I was rooting for the Colts in the AFC Championship game. I know Tom Brady went to Michigan, and I still do love Brady, but frankly, I'm sick of the Patriots, and I don't know how it happened but I began liking Peyton Manning. I think this is similar to the period last year when I adopted J.J. Redick as my favorite non-Michigan basketball player and was openly rooting for Duke in the tournament. I don't get it. Maybe I've lost touch with reality in my old age. But hey, the Colts have Marlin Jackson and the infamous Cato June. How can you not root for those two idiots?

First of all, even though it didn't end up mattering (and I actually agree with the decision), I was surprised to see the Patriots throwing the ball on 3rd and 4 with 2:35 left in the game when the Colts had only one timeout left. I think I agree with that decision because: a) The potential gain (2 minutes of clock) is larger than the potential loss (40 second advantage to Colts) and b) Peyton Manning isn't going to be constrained by having only two minutes of time to go the distance.

Secondly, how awesome was that Solomon Wilcotts-Bill Belicheck interview following the game. Here's a verbatim transcript:
Solomon: What seemed to be the difference?
Belicheck: The colts just did a little more than we did.
Solomon (after an awkward, stumbling pause): How much did fatigue play a factor?
Belicheck: Oh, I don't know, both teams fought pretty hard today.
Solomon: Uh, thanks for taking the time out to talk to us, Bill.

Boomer Esiason (in the studio): Uhhh, what was that?

Favorite moment from the game: Cato June running away from a STILL loose ball excitedly signalling that the Colts had possession when, in fact, the ball was about to be picked up by Logan Mankins for a TD. Absolutely phenomenal effort there by Cato. I now see why there were probably over 100 Colts fans wearing Cato June jerseys on Sunday.

Marlin! Was he playing safety when he made that interception? Lloyd Carr is vindicated!

Really could do without the shots of Eli Manning in the box with Archie. Obvious reasons. I don't need any more reminders of how terrible our Manning is. This is ourrrrrrrrrrr Manning!

Early prediction for Super Bowl: Colts 31 Bears 27. I think this game will be close. I think if the Bears drew the Patriots they'd be blown out of the water, but they can score on the Colts, and I think they could win. But, there's no way in hell I'm taking Rex Grossman over Peyton Manning. I'm not drunk. I think.

Also, I'd just like to point out that Maui Fever is an absolutely PHENOMENAL show. I LOVE this idea. First of all, the game these guys run is fool-proof. Even if you're a dude, you're going to accept an invitation to a party by heady brosefs who surf in Hawaii. Who's going to turn this down? Recipe for reality show success: Chicks in bikinis, Heady bros, Surfing, Crushing ass.

4 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Mr. Intensity said...

Maui Fever is in fact tremendous. And yes! CATO JUNE making moronic plays! It is no longer frustrating/suicide-inducing because we don't have him on our team anymore! It's like laughing at the poor bastard who dates your craaazy ex because you know what that's like! It isn't painful any more- just hiiiigh comedy. CATO! MARLIN!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous beutj said...

what michigan fan doesn't love watching marlin and cato dick around for an entire game then make a big play or two? (prepare for bickel's defending-marlin comment in 3..2..1)

also what's the o/u on "amount of conference championship paraphernalia stolen by eli manning"...i'm saying 4.5 items, and i'm heavily betting the over. do you think he'll just start wearing colts gear to giants training camp next year?

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Bickel said...

all i know, is that Cheyne from maui fever was in lords of dogtown. he's an actor. i already said my piece on said show in the previous comments.

-Bickel (yeah, i was too lazy to sign in)

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous beutj said...

now if we can just get carl tabb or the curry brothers on indy's special teams...it would be off the chart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home